Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Basic update

We've been getting back into routine thisweek. Ia still has six weeks left on themaths curriculum. Every year the Collins maths is the last thing to get finished! The boys are making steady progress on the Conquer Maths programme. Whenever they find a lesson tricky I pause and do lots of further practice over the following days, usually from Galore Park book 1, until they are comfortable with the topic. I intend to just keep plugging along with the maths until we break for summer, inshAllah.
The boys have finished their English textbook for the year. We have used Galore Park 1. I liked this book, the texts were at the right level for us and the writing tasks were interesting without being prescriptive or over structured. However, the variety of texts was disappointing. There was no poetry or playscript in the whole ten units. I really can't understand why. I made enquiries on a home-ed forum and found that book two was not recommended, and I was advised to have a look at the WHSmith Challenge books instead. At first I had my doubts. I thought that a WHSmith book wasn't going to be up to much, but I was very surprised to find that there is a good variety of interesting tasks in there! Plus it comes with an answer key, has 20 units, and is very cheap! Of course the real test will come when I have to actually use the book from September, but I'm hopeful inshAllah. Until then I'm doing some read aloud literature with the boys, inshAllah.
Other topics and subjects are continuing slow but steady, maashAllah.

No comments: