This morning the boys were researching an African country each, using the internet. This is part of our geography study. I printed out a notebook page with the outline map of the African country chosen (today it was Egypt for R and Ethiopia for J) and they just got on with filling the page.
While they were doing this I thought that I really should mention the Trail Guide to World Geography again on this blog. Our geography study is based around the guide, and it really makes it easy for me to set independent work for them to tackle, maashAllah.
I have not bought the student notebook pages for the Trail Guide, just the main book. I use outline maps and notebook pages sourced elsewhere and put it all together in binder files. This also gives me the flexibility to get the boys to do some work as word documents.
As Ia moves into keystage 2 next year I think it will be a good time to start using the guide with her too, inshAllah. I think she'll use the project differently from theboys. I think she will be more interested in the wildlife and habitats of various countries, and we'll probably add some lapbooking elements as well. The guide is so flexible, and although it is sheduled into weeks I just ignore all that and let it flow along at a speed that works for us. After all, even if we never complete the whole world tour it won't matter. Skills will have been picked up along the way and more will be known about the world than before we started, inshAllah.
2 comments:
This reminded me, looking at the muslim orphan sponsorship schemes and finding out where the countries are they live in is some of the geography that comes in without realising it. Of course many of them are from Africa.
That is interesting. I should try to bring that into our Africa study, inshAllah.
Post a Comment