Tuesday, March 30, 2010

More magnets

Some days are just so busy, subhanAllah, that by the end of them I can hardly remember anything! Sometimes I keep a running notebook, but otherwise I'm trying to piece bits together.
Ia has been doing more on the magnets project. Magnetism is such a great topic for young children, my girls find using the magnets quite exciting, alhamdulillah. We have a collection of different sized and shaped magnets, which I keep in a pot along with the magnetic marbles, oversized paper clips and a couple of springs that I salvaged from broken toys. Iron filings are also good to have, but having them inside a plastic bubble works best as otherwise thay just cover everything and are really hard to clean up!
We've tested how many paper clips different magnets can pick up, we've tested the distance from which the magnets start exerting their force on a paper clip and today we tested how many layers of non-magnetic material a coin needs to be wrapped in before a magnet is no longer attracted to it. We wrapped the coin in aluminium, paper and then cloth.
I'd definately recommend putting together a magnets box at home, if you haven't done so already. This can also include items containing magnets, such as a notepad with a magnetic closing clasp, or old reading glasses case. The children can play with these as toys and learn a lot at the same time!

1 comment:

Umm Raiyaan said...

Salaam,

Jzk for that. Will make a note to make one inshaAllah.

Wsm
Umm Raiyaan x