Thursday, March 25, 2010

A bit of science today

Ia finished the heat and temperature lapbook we were working on and now we are moving on to a topic study of magnets. This evening I read a library book on magnets to both girls and we got out the magnet set and did some experimenting.
The boys are back on the topicof electricity and circuits in their science study. Today I found a couple of links to try to add variety to the topic:
Electricity games and activities
Skool.co.uk
Although it seems that the boys would be just as happy doing the work mainly out of the textbook! I wonder if there are any intermediate electronics sets out there? We have the basic circuits set, and others I've seen advertised look very complicated. In fact we had one other set given to us. It said it was easy to use but we all found it so fiddly and complicated that we couldn't get anything to work on it at all.
Also today the boys watched "Bang goes the theory" and the girls watched a Primary Geography programme on water use. I'd forgotten all about those BBC schools programmes (currently shown around mid morning on BBC2)! The girls seem to find the geography ones really interesting, and some of the Science Clips are quite useful too!

5 comments:

madmumof4 said...

Assalamo alaikum,

That's one of the things we miss about having a TV, the Primary Geography Programmes.

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum, My 3yr old said it looks like gum and magnets, lol.

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
Oh yes! They do look like gum don't they! They are called magnet marbles.

UmmSuhayb said...

I'm on the lookout for a sturdy circuits set for H (now age 6)I remember S had lots of fun in nursery in London with them. Ones with crocodile clips, do you know where they can be obtained? Which reminds me I have come across the crocodileclips.com website which has virtual circuits to fiddle with which maybe are suitable for the older boys?

ummrashid said...

I bought a collection of bits and bobs from stimulus Learning (link in my sidebar) to put together a basic circuits set with crocodile clips, low volt battery, lightbulbs etc. This was a cheap way to get set up.
I have seen the crocodile clips website, at first glance it looked a little complicated....maybe I should take a second look.