Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday

We got the chemistry set out again today and did a couple of experiments on crystals. We used it for a while last year before getting tired of it, but maybe it is time for it to come out regularly again.
The Conquer Maths CDrom arrived and after a few worrying moments when the computer would not read/recognise the disc it is up and running, alhamdulillah (our computer has a problem, not the disc.). I'm really hoping this will be a big help for maths, inshAllah.
We've started a new routine with the boy's Quran reading. They used to do all their Quran work for the day at one time, usually around lunch time, using the computer. However, now that they are getting older we decided to move their revision and private efforts towards memorisation to Fajr time. They still do "new" work with the computer, later in the day, but the recitation that they do not need the "repeat after" facility for they now do in the morning. The reason for this is to help them establish habits for life, inshAllah. Throughout life it is more likely that they can do daily recitation in the early morning, than in the middle of the day. They also need to take responsibility for how much they do, and for making sure it is done, so this seems like a way to work towards that, inshAllah. I will still continue to review their memorised surahs with them on Thursdays, inshAllah.
Obviously this will be more difficult in the summer, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, inshAllah. Maybe they can do it when they wake in the morning rather than with Fajr if they feel to sleepy to focus at earlier times.

1 comment:

Umm Raiyaan said...

SubhanaAllah, I was just thinking along the same lines with regards to Quran. R does her Quran reading, revision of surahs memorised and new hifdh every morning. I was thinking of switching it to another time, but then decided against it as I want her to grow up starting her day with the Quran. And I feel that this will only happen if habits are established now. I don't think it is ever too early.