Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Geography bits

Oh, dear, I'm not doing very well with the post titles at the moment!
I blogged recently about using geography study to aquire and develop skills. More of this has been going on. We are currently learning about the Central American region. On Monday I asked the boys to find out a little about the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza and to put together a powerpoint presentation of what they found out. They have done several PPPs before, and doing one of these makes a change from handwritten or typed work. It gives some variety, refreshes their knowledge of using PP, and can count as integrated ICT! I know, terrible of me to use these terms, but it is what we are doing anyway, and presenting it in these words might come in handy one day!
For today's geography the boys wrote up a report on the earthquake in Hati. They used the Newsround website to find out information. Although they had seen about it on the general news anyway they needed to gather some facts. Then they wrote a half side report in their own words. I'm filing all this geography stuff in folders.

At some point during the day the girls went up to their bedroom and were very quiet. It turned out that Ia had been reading aloud the last chapter of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so that they could find out what happens!!! I'm still required to fill in the rest of the chapters.

2 comments:

Naimah said...

Assalamu alaykum sis,

Don't worry, I'm the same when it comes to thinking up titles sometimes, I can be sitting there for ages! lol.

Masha'Allaah alot of interesting work going on, thanks for sharing :)

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
JazakAllahkhair for your generous comment.