Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spider Diagram

Sometimes I feel like I'm a spider diagram, it is me in the middle, with all the lines coming out as the things I'm trying to do.
So, I think I'm on the verge of some more re-organisation, alhamdulillah. There is just so much we could all be doing. I could fill each day for the boys, and each day for the girls. Doing this for all of them all at once is the problem!
I want us to be going for outings, going out for walks, visiting the library, meeting friends, reading aloud, doing art and craft, learning through projects and textbooks and wider reading and documentaries and so on and on and on.
I didn't mention baking ...or sports, or fitting in the daily Islamic duties.
I really need the boys to be doing more independent projects. It is good for them, and will help me to find more time for the girls and more variety for everyone. I was planning to make some changes next academic year, but as usual I can't wait.
This morning I asked the boys to choose from a whole range of unit studies on all kinds of topics. It doesn't matter what they learn (pretty much), just that they develop study skills through the process. R chose a topic on Aztecs and J chose Vikings. They wanted to get started on it today.
Also today Ia's friend came over and the three girls made the Lil Muslimah cut out dolls from Umm Abdul Basir's blog, and played with them for ages, maashAllah. If you have young girls do go check the dolls! I think everyone is making them!

3 comments:

Umm Omar said...

I feel, like a spider diagram, too. :-)

UmSuhayb b David said...

remember what a typical school timetable has on it.
S for example only gets home economics once every few weeks as they have to rotate it with computer studies and English. The teachers don't have the washing/ cleaning etc to do either!
Outings happen once in a blue moon too!

ummrashid said...

Salaam,
So, I'm not the only one Umm Omar - phew!
UmSuhayb, yes I know we are not doing badly, but I have all these ideas for what we could be doing crowding my mind. I'm just being greedy, like a child offered a biscuit from the newly opened family sized box, I'm temped to grab two large handfuls.
The poor old teachers just have to go home to an evening of washing and cleaning I suppose! At least I cut out the commute!