Friday, August 15, 2008

How not to do English

This is what they did to the living room this morning. This "tent" had "rooms". One for each boy and one for the girls. Before that I had read the history of Prophet Yunus (as) to the boys and they had done their daily Quran.
Later on we looked into the history of Ninevah, the town to which Yunus (as) was sent. This was just brief as there is nothing to connect a time period with Yunus (as), but it is interesting to know a little more.
After lunch the boys worked through an activity pack on the Cutty Sark. Why??? Two reasons. The first is that we have been learning a bit about ships, and will continue to do so when we resume the English textbook, so it kind of fits in. The other, more important reason is that its a good extended reading comprehension exercise. The text covered 4 sides of A4 and there were 20 questions to answer. They didn't want to bother with the colouring in, or the cutting out, or the game. But they did the 20 questions, and knew the answers to the word search. So, they must have used reading skills, followed by scanning skills. An English lesson by stealth. Because we are not actually "doing" English in the "holiday".
In the garden I discussed living and non-living things with Ia. Seems she is pretty clear on that.
Later on I was doing some garden work (still working on the rockery) and I found this tiny creature under some old planks of wood.

To have an idea of how tiny, those leaves are from privet hedge clippings.

5 comments:

Sofinee Harun said...

I laugh looking at the picture. My children used to do that in their bedroom. sometimes in our big lounge now. I like it as it teach them to be creative. Plus it keep them quiet for hours as well.

UmSuhayb b David said...

This is usually what's happened when I go to my bed and think 'Where's my pillow, where's my duvet?' I remember making separate 'rooms' with leaves marking them out in the autumn in my playtimes at primary school..
There's a medieval 'cog' ship museum here and they take you out on the sea in it (reenactment style I think), would u like to come on a field trip?! You know where to come when youre covering the Vikings, S is asking after your boys, mashAllah.

ummrashid said...

I'm ready! H needs working on.

UmSuhayb b David said...

hehe:)at first I thought you meant 'H' for history, then i clicked !

Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum
what is that creature a slug? My lot do the tent thing drives me nuts but then i like an ordely home most days. Nice blog .