Wednesday, July 18, 2007

More effective routine needed

If I have a plan the boys will ignore it, so yesterday they began the day by writing stories in their room, so I did some counting work with Ia and a few pages of her maths workbook. She also did a tiny bit of handwriting and practised pronouncing the “ba” sounds in Arabic. I don’t really know what to call that but I’m copying the phonic method the boys were taught with, where the name of the letter is not taught, but letter by letter the child learns the pronunciation with each vowel. It is a bit boring, I remember the boys getting bored with it, but if it works it doesn’t matter how long it takes.
They are all getting silly now it is raining again. Not all rooms are accessible now either as we are having the central heating done. Bits are being done in each room, tools everywhere and carpets to come up for new pipes.
Yesterday we began studying the pillars of Emaan. I introduced the topic and then they made a poster, with the words, pillars of emaan resting on six pillars, with the name of each pillar written in each. I have the set of books by Muhammed al-Jibaly called “Emaan made easy”. I plan to begin with the pillar of belief in prophets and messengers, insh’Allah, because it is a little more straight forward to explain than belief in Allah, and they are familiar with learning about the prophets.
I have collected enough boxes and tubs for Ia to resume junk modelling. Today she has made a boat at the “graphics table” as they called it at nursery. Our graphics table has multi functions, but it makes her happy to call it the graphics table at least some of the time.
Today R has posted the paragraphs he wrote on libraries. This was prompted by the English textbook wanting a piece expressing an opinion on “an issue”.
From this it seems as if we’ve been busy, but actually I don’t think we’ve been doing nearly enough.

No comments: