Monday, March 21, 2011

Reading (again)

Anyone who reads along here from time to time may notice that I have an ongoing theme with sourcing reading materials, especially for the boys. It just gets harder and harder. The library selection of books for the "young teen" age range is very poor. If horror or fantasy is your style, then maybe you are happy with what's on offer. If you are a girl whose interests are gossiping, backbiting and general rudeness then you are probably satisfied too. If you don't like either of those types of books then the library has hidden away the reading stock you'd like in the "reserve store".
You have to be pretty determined to unearth items from the reserve store. To start with you have to know the authors or titles you want to read. This means you need someone who read them to recommend them. If you are a kid then this is quite hard. Your friends can't recommend books they've never seen either. I asked around on a home educator forum full of clever home educators and someone suggested the author Geoffrey Trease.
Since getting this name I've ordered lots of Geoffrey Trease books from the reserve stock and the boys are really enjoying them. Most of these books have not seen the light of day for as long as ten years. They have the price in shillings on the cover. They are historical, adventure stories. The main character is always a teenage boy. I liken it to grown up Famous Five in an historical context. The boys are always "decent", the girls are always no-nonsense with a touch of tom-boy. The history in there is often based closely on real events, but is so wrapped up with the adventure story that it is effortlessly absorbed. It's ideal for my sons at the moment. So good not to be hearing "What shall I read now?" every few days!
Geoffrey Trease wrote loads of books, but the library stock is dwindling. Only the survivors remain in the store. Enjoy it while it lasts.

4 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

I guess we don't have access to the same books as we are in different countries, subhannallah.

Alhamdulillah, I am able to find an ample amount of decent literature for my son here. I'm not sure why it is so different for you though.

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
Here the 12+ section of the library is very small, and dominated by fantasy/horror books, or books about relationships.

Quidam said...

as salaamu `alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

I've been looking for these books (have a history-buff daughter who is not a girly-girl!) but so many are unavailable! A pity as you said! Could you tell me where you ordered your copies?

I know what you mean about the 12+ section in libraries - cringeworthy stuff! I had to ask my daughter not to browse at the young adult section at the bookstore too - what is with the vampire and LGBT stuff!?

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
our library holds them in a reserve store in a basement somewhere, so I got them through the library.