I'm trying to integrate some whole book studies into the boy's shedule. I'd like to assign them some reading through which they can learn something about history or society etc. The idea is that they will read the book one week, then do some written work on it the following week, probably in the form of several short essays.
I'm going to have to put some effort into sourcing material for them, but at least for this week I have assigned "Lost Riders" by Elizabeth Laird.
The book is about child exploitation, with poor boys from Pakistan traffiked to Dubai to work in camel racing. In the preface it is mentioned that the UAE has passed laws to prevent this now.
The story is shocking, but written in an easy style. I think the boys found it quite compelling reading as they each finished it in a day, maashAllah.
(By the way I'm not planning to only post here on Wednesdays now, it just seems to have turned out that way recently!)
4 comments:
Assalamo alaikum,
MashaAllah sounds interesting. Would it be suitable as a read aloud for younger children?
Please keep posting the book titles, many of our reads have come from yours!
Walaykumsalaam,
I don't think so. There is a lot of cruelty described and a reference to sexual abuse, although only someone with sufficient awareness of why a boy would cry and refuse to speak after being forced to share a bed with an adult would understand that reference.
File it for later, inshAllah.
As salaam alaikum,
Sadly, I was thinking along the same lines that it probably included sexual abuse. My husband and I just recently watched a documentary about the "dancing boys" in Afghanistan. It just reminded me about it when I read your post.
Walaykumsalaam,
Yes, although the reference in this book is very brief and is not part of the main plot. Physical abuse is what is mainly described.
Post a Comment