Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Couple of links

Today we watched one of this year's Royal Institution science lectures on iplayer. (Tomorrow, Thursday, is the last day these are available). For the first time we did not watch an iplayer programme gathered around the PC screen because the boys now know how to watch the iplayer on a normal tv, via the Wii console.
As kids get older they are a real help with technological matters, maashAllah!
I thought I'd post a couple of links to other online stuff they've discovered and experimented with recently:
Sumo Paint This is free and you don't need to download it. It works in a similar way to the old Paint, found on most PCs, but with more features. The boys have been trying out designs on there.
CamStudio This one allows you to video what you are doing on your screen, like the print screen button, but in video. You might not think there is much use for that, but the boys sought this tool out for a specific task they had in mind, and it seemed to work out for them, maashAllah.

Sometimes I have tried showing them things online that I've found links to on home ed lists or on blogs, but usually they don't take those up. They need real tasks, which they devise for themselves, to get themselves searching for and using tools like these. I suppose that is more like "real life" anyway!

2 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

That's interesting that they don't like using others' ideas. I find that I like to get inspiration from other places and then add my own twist to things. No need to reinvent the wheel all the time.

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
I feel the same way as you. I borrow ideas all the time. The boys are only like this about websites I try to show them. With books, or other ideas they are more open to suggestions.