Friday, November 05, 2010

Hajj Project

I'm currently working on a little Hajj project with Ia (and sort of also with U). I had lots of thoughts about this and kept changing my mind about what to do. First Iconsidered some kind of wall display, then a lapbook, until finally I ended up with a notebook!
I still have some copies of Islamic theme colouring sheets I got from a sister some years ago which I have used from time to time in lapbooks. I don't know exactly where they came from originally, so I can't link you in their direction.
There are quite a few sheets related to Hajj and I wanted to utilise them this year. When teaching about Hajj I'm not too concerned about the child remembering all the sequence of what happens on which day and the route the pilgrims take. I think this is a lot to remember, and it is more important at this stage that the child knows something about what is done on Hajj in general and the background to it in order to get a feel for its importance, inshAllah.
So I'm taking one colouring sheet scene at a time, talking about what is depicted, looking into whatever background I can then writing a sentence or more on thebottom or back of the sheet.
For example, when we did the sheet on the Talbiyah I found a YouTube audio for us to listen to and after that Ia wrote out its translation. When doing the sheet on the sa'y (running between the hills of Safa and Marwa) I read the story of Hajar, the wife of Ibrahim (as) from the Quran Stories for Kids book and then asked Ia to write about those events in her own words.
There are also lots of opportunities to look at pictures online of the various significant locations visited on Hajj. If I did not have these colouring sheets I would probably print off some of those pictures and use them for visuals. I might also encourage Ia to draw her own pictures, maybe using some basic notebooking pages.
We still have plenty of sheets to go through in this project, inshAllah, including,
drinking Zamzam water,
the Day of Sacrifice
throwing the stones,
standing at Arafat, and others.
I am actually trying to use them in the order in which events occur but I like the way the sheets have caused me to focus on one element at a time and have kept me away from trying to fit the whole thing around a sequence or order of events as I think it would have been less interesting for Ia that way.

5 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

I think you're right about it not being the main objective for them to remember all the events in correct order at this point and allahu alim.

Homeschool 4 Muslims said...

Assalamoalaikum

I think thats a brilliant idea. I had done a hajj lap book last year with my kids and although they retained the sequence and rituals, but it was just that - a ritual, for them. This year I wanted to do something more, something which will make them realize the true essence of hajj and not just the rituals involoved in it. My kids have always responded well to images as writing prompts and I think this approach to Hajj would suit them better insha Allaah.

Jazakillah for sharing

wassalam

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
I think that the visual element in learning about Hajj is important. Every year we watch some of the clips or transmissions showing the Hajj taking place, alhamdulillah.

Homeschool 4 Muslims said...

Assalamoalaikum

sorry the comment is not relevant to the post, but I was wondering if you use a curriculum or different curricula for different subjects or make your own curriculum? I know I am asking for too much but can you please share your curriculum choices for diff age groups and subjects? My kids are 8 and 5 and up until now we have managed fine without a curriculum, I just use the national curriculm standards as a spine. But I was wondering if I should consider using one now? I like your homeschooling style and so I would be very interested in knowing how you go about this issue.

sorry for bothering

wassalam

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
I will try to answer your questions soon, inshAllah.