Umm Ahmad requested that I describe my curriculum choices, so I'll post a little about that today, inshAllah.
I don't follow any particular methodology or approach. In fact, I'd say I'm pretty conventional about the way I home ed, but I don't stick to any ideology. I don't think it is necessary to stick to any one curriculum until you are actually preparing an exam syllabus. I use the National Curriculum as a reference spine for some subjects, but not at all for others. I do not attempt to apply the whole National Curriculum. No way. Avoiding the limitations of the National Curriculum is an advantage of home education.
With my daughters, while they are under 7/year 3 I have focussed mainly on English and maths, with other subjects done on a topic basis. This means that I don't teach separate science or geography, for example, but these things are covered through projects or practical learning. Of course there is Islamic studies too, but again I cover this in a topic/project way. Only from year 3 do I start to make separate sessions for the different subject areas and think more carefully about what is covered under each subject heading.
So, with that in mind I'll run through some of the resources I'm using with my girls this year.
First the 5 year old. For English we are using Literacy Now age 5-6 (Andrew Brodie). I like this worbook, it has just enough to do, but its range is quite spread, from easy at the beginning to quite a bit harder at the end. For this reason I don't use it continuously, I use each double page unit as I feel that U becomes ready for it. So I might use this book several times in one week, then not again for a month.
We've also finished off Schofield and Sims First Phonics4, which deals with blends in a clear straightforward way. Then there is Bond No Nonsense 5-6 years. This again I use a sprinkling of, not too often, in this case because it is so boring. I see the virtue of this book, but it has the National Curriculum drill them to death mentality about it. As it says on the back it is for children who want to do better. Better in National Tests I presume, through endless repetitive practice.
I also have the Letts Literacy Activity Books for Year 1, which I intend to start using sometime during the next couple of months, inshAllah. I also hope to get on to some story book lapbooks, as I did these with Ia when she was in year 1. U is a springtime baby,and so a little younger for her year group. At this stage I think the months still count, so I'm delaying these things until she maybe more ready for them, inshAllah.
She also does some handwriting practice, and reads from the Peter and Jane series
For maths I'm using some Collins Primary Maths workbooks, and the very old SPMG workbooks which I'm not sure can be purchased any more. she also has accounts on Mathletics and Education City.
Everything else is topic based and chosen randomly. Plus there is reading library books and practical things like art and baking done here and there, but not in a sheduled way. I don't use any other specific resources, just whatever is helpful for a particular topic. U is also now going for Quran lessons with a teacher, alhamdulillah.
With the 7 year old I use Collins Primary Maths (the version has just gone out of print), plus Mathletics and Education city. Maths is the one area that I stick with a curriculum carefully. I think that it helps to keep to one style with maths, as soon as you find the right one, as different systems teach different approaches. I found Collins suitable for us up to year 5, so I'm sticking with it, inshAllah.
For English I'm using Collins Focus on Literacy, (can't locate on Amazon just now) along with Nelson Thornes spelling and handwriting and Spellodrome, which comes with Mathletics. I continue to read aloud to the girls, as this is part of their language learning too, in my opinion.
For science I'm using year 3 National Curriculum topics, together with the CGP topic workbooks on those topics. For the two topics we've covered so far I tried to make it more interesting with a lapbook or practical activities. I'm not worried about covering everything, it is more important I think to cover a selection of topics in an enjoyable way, inshAllah.
For geography we have started working on the Trail Guide to World Geography. There is really no rush here. We'll go at a nice, comfortable pace, inshAllah, and do as many or as few notebookpages at each desination as we feel like.
For Islamic Studies I'm using Iqra workbooks on the life of the Prophet Muhammad (saw) and also doing notebook style work on the other Prophets (as), in order. We are still on Hud (as)! I may do a lapbook approach for some history of the Prophets. With the boys I varied the approach with each Prophet's story, and the whole thing took up to year 5.
Ia also has Quran lessons and does a bit of art most weeks, plus reading of course. Sometimes she does a little French on the computer.
I wonder if I've missed anything? If not, then that's about it, inshAllah.
So, I suppose in general I just try to find resources which seem to suit for each subject are, then I just work with them until I'm no longer satisfied, then I'll look for something else.
3 comments:
Jazakillah!
that was helpful. this is more or less the way i am doing now. but my kids are more techy type and dont like workbooks and lap books so our projects are mostly computer based. but the underlying process is the same.
but after this age, like with your boys, what do you do? do you continue like this? and does it work? or you start getting more like school at home? i mean i am not sure my kids will benefit with the text book approach but i am feeling a bit apprehensive about carrying on like this. have you carried on the same way with your boys?
wassalam
P.S: I really appreciate the time and effort you put in as an answer to my request.
May Allaah reward you.
wassalam
Walaykumsalaam,
Glad this was helpful, alhamdulillah.
I do continue more or less in the same style with the boys, but gradually the approach with them becomes more formal, with textbook spines. They were never too keen on lapbooks anyway, but they are happy with notebooking style.
Post a Comment