Friday, July 09, 2010

Thinking ahead a little

Ramadan is only a few weeks away, inshAllah, and this year I'm thinking of doing things a little differently.
In previous Ramadans I have always kept some organised Islamic Studies work going, and before that when they boys were younger I did other subjects as well. Now things are different. One thing is that now Ramadan will fall during the summer holiday period, but the main difference is the age of the children. Younger children, I have found, need more help keeping occupied, but as they get older they get much better at keeping themselves busy, maashAllah, to the extent that sometimes they don't want to take time out from whatever they are doing even to do a fun activity such as art which I may have ready! I'm not complaining! This independance is a good thing, maashAllah.
So, for this Ramadan I'm not planning to list or organise their work in any way, instead, inshAllah, we will focus on the practical side of doing ibaadah, reading Quran, reading books and maybe listening to some lectures. This will mainly be me and the boys of course, but the girls can improve on learning their salaah inshAllah. U is now becoming keen to join in with salaah, maashAllah!
As a result of planning this way I decided to get started now with a Ramadan lapbook with the girls. Ia has not done one before because I was waiting for U to be old enough to join in properly. We began work on the lapbook yesterday. I'm afraid that I'm far too busy these days to come up with many new ideas myself, so I'm not being original with this lapbook at all, instead I'm looking at two example lapbooks made by other sisters and am putting together our own out of those two, maashAllah.
I'm using the Raising Muslims Ramadan lapbook and UmmK's lapbook which I put on Always Learning Resources last year.
I'm not sure how long we will take over the lapbook, but inshAllah we'll do a little everyday, especially as our other bookwork is now finished for the summer. I'm thinking of it as preparation for Ramadan!

1 comment:

UmSuhayb b David said...

I was thinking just now it's only just over a month until Ramadhan mashaAllah..