Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Magnets



At the moment I'm using the Forces part of "Bite-Size Physics" with the boys. Today's lesson had something that everyone could enjoy - making magnets.

You just have to stroke an iron nail with a magnet, making sure to always go the same direction, until the nail becomes a magnet. In the picture the paperclip is magnetically attached to the nail. After that we dropped the nails on the paving outside to demagnetise them. Everyone had a go at this. The girls enjoyed the experiments and the boys learnt about the science behind it.

Alhamdulillah, it was great to have something for everyone!

2 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

I remember doing some work with magnets with my oldest a few years ago. We used the Young Scientist Club kits. Have you used those?

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
I have heard of them but I have not used them.