Tuesday, May 04, 2010

As they get older does HE get harder or easier?

I have been thinking about this question recently.
In some ways I am finding HE with the boys is getting easier, alhamdulillah. Although the subject material is getting more complex the style of delivery is getting more straightforward. Also, of course, we are all getting more experienced at this home ed project, and I suppose that helps!
With the younger ones there are a lot of challenges in terms of finding the right mix of resources. They need lots of short activities to teach ideas in a variety of ways. Also at the beginning you are only just starting to find out about your child's learning style and preferences, and it will take time to understand and adapt your approach accordingly.
Younger ones also need to have their love of learning fostered and basic skills such as reading and numeracy need to be aquired as joyfully as possible and in such a way as they form a firm, confident foundation for building further learning. This poses plenty of challenges!
As the boys get older I feel that I, and they, understand their learning style better. This makes it easier to choose resources which match their needs. I don't find myself searching around for which books to use anything like as much as I used to, as now the path seems clearer, alhamdulillah. Also by this age the boys can explain their own opinions on learning and we can discuss what we are doing, alhamdulillah. Younger ones tend to be swayed by how they are feeling about something on theday you ask them, whereas older ones can take a longer term view.
Just a few thoughts!

2 comments:

Umm Raiyaan said...

Interesting sis. I do find that I am slowly discovering R's learning pattern but expect that it will probably change. I think this stage is the most difficult as you are constantly trying to find the right resources that suit them. Thanks for this post, makes me feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

ummrashid said...

Yes, the constantly trying to find the right resources stage is more difficult in my opinion.