Ia has been offered a place at the nursery. This is a surprise, as term has started I assumed that she wouldn't be going. Apparantly someone else dropped out. This will be something to adjust to! Complicating our timetable even more!
We've been easing back into the home ed, especially with our group days. We've collated our weather data, to be made into graphs, inshAllah. We've looked a bit more at the different climate zones, and what would be required to survive there. They have been learning about expressing facts and opinions in English, and we've continued our reading of "Fish". They have also been enjoying "Discovering Dinosaurs" by Valerie Wilding, a non fiction book about the men who discovered dinosaur fossils and uncovered the existence of dinosaurs. I've been reading it to them, because it is a bit too difficult for them to manage by themselves. They seem quite into the events, and ask for more, alhamdulillah. In their Islamic studies they have been learning about friendship and also the Prophet Hud (as).
Yesterday I left them to it the whole day while I painted the flat, they watched too much tv of course but J wrote a story and he and R did the illustrations. They have been doing more reading too.
Sometimes I wonder what education is. The boys love their Sonic the Hedgehog games. They went online and searched for related sites. They do this alot. They were able to find a Sonic cheats site, which gives tips on the games. They located the info relevant to the games and format they have, read it and followed it up. This was nothing to do with me. If they can do it for games they could do the same for researching other topics. How shall I get them to do this?! They have just told me that they use the Ask search engine. I didn't tell them about this. Next step: apply self-motivated learning to useful subjects.
Ia has been really into making more and more paper fish. Then she decided that she wanted to make paper butterflies as well. So I cut them out and she decorates them. I must give her more art and craft time!
U has been doing her usual stuff and putting more words together, alhamdulillah
1 comment:
The problem is most 7 year olds will find Sonic the H very 'useful'. When S. was into it he managed to learn about some different animals, as Knuckles is an echidna, then that can lead to marsupials, Australia and there you have it, Geography and biology! They're doing some IT and as long as it isn't taking up a large proportion of their time then it can be positive.
Post a Comment